Tuesday 3 February 2009

The White Stuff! (Lots Of It!)

Now I am shocked at how long it is been since our last post, I am sat at home trapped inside by the freezing cold snow and ice, so I thought I would give the beer world an update. As you may have noticed its snowing in Britain, like really snowing hard (well for us), a few inches of snow has brought our country's transport infrastructure to its knees! last night, upon returning from a potentially hazardous trip to the cinema (with beer in toll), I cracked open a couple of darker beers to celebrate this bizarrely seasonal weather. Both beers are exclusive stocked by Tesco having won a pair of awards from the supermarkets food and drink awards, I don't want to sound like I am plugging Tesco its just their the only place to get these brews. first up was an imported Czech dark lager from the Bernard family brewery it was nice enough, good balance but considering the style I expected more from the darker malts and a bit more firm coffee bitterness from the hops, not terrible, but not Budvar dark. Then onto Midnight sun from the Scottish micro William's brothers, this was better a full bodied rich and warming porter ,with a subtle ginger spiciness and firm coffee like bitterness a really good winter warmer.

Now we realised a post hadn't been made for a while, and there has been some fine beer drunk recently, particularly in the form of a Xmas spend up at the beer shop A bottle of the sublime De Dolle Brouwers Stille Nacht among other delights, including De fonteinen oude gueuze form 2006, which was among the finest we have had form the style. We were planning on a trip to London yesterday but that didn't happen for obvious reasons. We are now going in two weeks, and excited to visit The rake, market porter and a return visit to one of my favourite pubs the seven Stars. heard it on the grape vine that the rake has just had Sierra Nevada's Celebration ale on tap and have lots of flying dog beer sin as well! I expect nothing but a brilliant pint form The Stars, hopefully one of Darkstar's seasonals. Can't wait!



2 comments:

Good Burp said...

Any reason to try a new beer is good in my book. I'm excited to read your review of Flying Dog. I'm a big fan.

Rory and Tom said...

yer we have had the doggie style pale ale, the IPA and the gonzo imperial porter which were all very good indeed! hopfully we will find the k9- winter ale on tap!oh and our beer shop didnt seem to have any brewer's reserve left, it looked like it got snaped up pretty quickly!

Happy new year!